Sunday, April 17, 2011

Faith Is the Substance of Things Hoped For...

When we surrender our lives to the Lord Jesus Christ, we are not guaranteed a life without problems and challenges.  We are not promised a life of ease.  The promises we are given go much deeper than that.  This life is temporary, this World will not last forever.  As the old christian hymn says, "This World is not my home, I'm only passing through."

Jesus said, "I will never leave or forsake you."  He also said, "I go to prepare a place for you that you can be with me always."  His promises to us are for now and for the eternal.

Many good christian people have difficult challenges in life.  There are some circles in Christianity that try to insinuate that if you have enough faith you will never have any sickness or any problems.  We know that is not true and that God's word teaches the opposite.  "In this life you will have many trials."  Difficulties and trials are not caused by a lack of faith, rather, they are the testing ground for our faith.  Real faith in God says "Lord I will trust you and love you and follow you no matter what."  Job said, "Though God slay me, yet will I trust Him." 

I read today about Pastor David Wilkerson's challenges.  His daughter Debi just had surgery for cancer and his 29 year old grandson Brandon is having chemotherapy for stage 4 cancer.  His wife and family have had multiple trials with cancer.  For those that might not know who Pastor Wilkerson is, he was the young Christian believer that walked the dangerous streets of New York City about forty years ago and lead gang leader Nicky Cruz to become a Christian.  They wrote the famous book (and movie) "The Cross and the Switchblade" based on their experiences.  I am including a excerpt from one of Pastor Wilkerson's messages in 2005 that gives more details about his families challenges;

Dearly Beloved:
May the love of Jesus shine on you.
As we read Paul's epistles, we often find him sharing very personal matters with his audience. Please bear with me as I share a few personal things with you.
My wife, Gwen, is now recovering from a knee replacement—her twenty-first operation (five for cancer). She told me this was the most painful operation of all. She is recovering well and will soon be able to travel with me to ministers' conferences around the world.
The Lord has seen us through deep waters of affliction over the past years. Both of our daughters, Debbie and Bonnie, are also cancer survivors. God has graciously delivered Gwen from a cloud of guilt she carried for a long time, thinking she had “passed on cancer” to them. Doctors called it a cancer cluster. Today, Gwen, Debbie and Bonnie are all doing well. God be praised.
Two years ago, our twelve-year-old granddaughter, Tiffany, died of brain cancer. This was especially difficult for Gwen, who had to fight off the same old accusations from Satan that Tiffany's cancer was also hereditary. The Holy Spirit has been so faithful to comfort and heal the hurt. We know God always does what is best for all concerned.
Many of our readers have written asking for information about our family, and that is why I am sharing a few personal tidbits. Gwen and I have four children and ten grandchildren. My oldest son, Gary, is a seasoned minister and travels with me for ministers' conferences. Greg is a youth evangelist and producer of Christian films. Debbie, our oldest daughter, and her minister husband, Roger, have a full time outreach to street children called Father's Love. Bonnie and her minister husband, Roger, founded “Front Porch Ministry” at a Pennsylvania farm, where they minister to young people from the inner city of New York.
As I look back over fifty years of ministry, I recall innumerable tests, trials and times of crushing pain. But through it all, the Lord has proven faithful, loving, and totally true to all his promises. Our ministry is debt free and we have not had to beg or plead for finances. We have faced huge burdens, both personal and ministry related, but we have come through them all with joy unspeakable.
From the beginning, this has been a faith-based ministry. We have “prayed in” all our finances and we still do. Never once has God failed to meet all these needs. We boast only in his faithfulness.
Your prayers and support are needed and much appreciated.
In Christ,
DAVID WILKERSON


Pastor Wilkerson has followed the Lord through all the trials and challenges.  Being a Christian does not make us immune from difficulties.  Being a Pastor does not stop the challenges of this life.  Even God's own Son Jesus had tremendous trials and challenges.  He suffered a horrible death to save us from our sins.  He had his mind set to follow the will of His Father no matter what.  He suffered real pain and agony.  Even the Son of God had to suffer. 

Put your faith in God and trust Him through all the good times and the challenging times.  This life is temporary.  Our time here is short.  Lets put our complete trust in our loving Father and His son Jesus.  They will not let us down. 

4 comments:

  1. I really needed that. It just reminds me about where my faith is. I have a child with leaukimia and our life has been a struggle. I honestly don't know where I or the rest of my family would be without our faith in God. I also have a handicapped daughter who has multiple issuses and keeps us busy as well. But for the grace of God I again do'nt know where we would be. Since Sept. of 2010 I would estimate that I have had children in the hospital for 5 months. And still God has been so good during that time. He has provided for us. He has taken care of us. As I was writing my msg. this week I found this line. We can pray for things. But ultimatly it's in God's providence as to what happens. We really need to remember that when we pray. And i have certainly learned that. Job actually did say it best. I will still honor the Lord. No Matter how hard it may be,no matter what happens. And for we mere humans that is so hard to understand sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one more tidbit. I believe that being a Christian opens us up to more trials. Mostly it we have a special ministry. (pastor teacher blog) whatever. Because Satan is alwayw there to see if he can get us away from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are encouraging comments. It helps to know others have challenges as well. All the examples in the Bible and all those around us. And to hear that God is faithful and gives us grace especially in the hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 11 years later and this is still true, I paid to rest my 7 year old after years of praying for his healing and the hurt and pain I couldn't fathom. Belivers , beloved of Christ we WILL face fiery trials and tribulations but because He lives we can face tomorrow. He is our hope , and has promised us of a life with him if we Endure till the end. I do understand why our Lord used Endure ....no turning back beloved , our king is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete