Saturday, April 9, 2011

Prove By The Way You Live

"When the crowds came to John for Baptism, he said, "You brood of snakes!  Who warned you to flee God's coming wrath?  Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God.  Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendants of Abraham'.  That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones."

The Crowds asked, "What should we do?"

John replied, "If you have two shirts, give one to the poor.  If you have food, share it with those who are hungry."

(Luke chapter 3)

Wow!  That is very convicting.  Here's John The Baptist talking to a group of people who are trying to do the right thing.  His words cut right to the heart.  To paraphrase, John is saying, 'Don't come here and play the game.  If you mean what you say, if you really want to do God's will then prove it by the way you live.  Give what you have to the poor.  Give them clothes and give them food.  Let your faith be shown by the way you live."

Our words are meaningless if not verified by our actions.  Our faith is empty if not shown by our deeds.  Saying that I care about the poor and seldom giving them anything proves that I really don't care too much about the poor.  We spend too much time talking about our bills and not giving to those in need.  We waste too much time thinking about how we can make more money and not how we can give more.  I'm guilty of this.  I don't give enough.  I have plenty of food and clothes and I need to share it with the poor.  No excuses.  Writing this does nothing for the poor.  Talking about it and even praying about it does nothing for the poor.  If I love Jesus, I must DO WHAT HE SAYS!  Being baptised in water is a good thing.  But John takes it a step further and says don't just get baptized in water as an empty religious exercise, PROVE that you have repented and turned from doing things your own way by doing things God's way.  Give clothes and food to the poor.  This is not symbolic or a nice idea, this is to be taken literally.  I make too many excuses for myself.  I see someone asking for money and I immediately think 'con-man, don't give him anything'.  That may or may not be true.  There are definitely many people in America who are pan-handling and playing the con-game.  But there are also many people in need.  Giving through a church ministry or an established non-profit is the safest way of giving.

I challenge you (and me) to give to the poor today and to be committed to giving everyday.  Jesus gave the ultimate sacrifice when He gave His very life.  We need to follow His example and lay down our lives, die daily, and give unto others.

Let me know what you think?  Tell me what happens when you give to the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment